Jenny Eclair is a British comedian, actress, and writer. She first came to prominence in the early 1990s as one of the founders of the comedy movement known as “alternative comedy.” She performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and other comedy clubs around the UK, developing a reputation for her sharp wit and satirical observations on topics such as gender, sexuality, and relationships.
Jenny Eclair Biography / Wiki
Jenny Eclair was born on March 16, 1960, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Her birth name is Jenny Clare Hargreaves. She spent her childhood in Malaysia, but her family moved to England when she was 14 years old.
Eclair attended a convent school in Birmingham and then went on to study drama at the Manchester Polytechnic School of Theatre. After graduating, she worked as a stage manager and lighting technician before becoming a stand-up comedian in the early 1980s.
Jenny Eclair Age
As per Jenny Eclair’s date of birth, her age is 63 years (as of now, in 2023).
Jenny Eclair Height and Weight
Jenny Eclair’s height is about 5 feet 2 Inches and her weight is approximately 68 Kg.
Jenny Eclair began her career in entertainment as a stage manager and lighting technician before transitioning into comedy in the early 1980s. She performed at various comedy clubs in London, developing a reputation for her sharp wit and edgy humor.
Eclair became a prominent figure in the alternative comedy scene of the 1980s and 1990s, alongside comedians such as Alexei Sayle, Rik Mayall, and Adrian Edmondson. She was one of the few female comedians in the scene and often addressed feminist issues in her performances.
In 1995, Eclair won the prestigious Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for her one-woman show “Jenny Eclair: The Andy Warhol Syndrome”. This was a significant achievement as she became the first female comedian to win the award.
Following her success at the Edinburgh Fringe, Eclair’s career took off, and she appeared on numerous television shows, including “The Bill,” “Grumpy Old Women,” and “I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!” She has also written several books and continues to tour as a stand-up comedian.
Jenny Eclair has had a successful television career, both as a performer and a writer. She has appeared in numerous shows, including comedy panel shows, sitcoms, dramas, and reality shows. Jenny Eclair’s television career has been varied and successful, and she has made a significant contribution to the UK comedy scene through her work both in front of and behind the camera.
One of Eclair’s most famous roles was as one of the original members of the panel on the BBC comedy series “Grumpy Old Women.” She appeared in the first three series of the show, which aired between 2004 and 2006, and then returned for the 2018 Christmas special.
Eclair has also appeared as a regular panelist on shows such as “Loose Women” and “The Wright Stuff,” providing her opinions and insights on current events and issues.
In addition to her work as a performer, Eclair has also written for television. She co-wrote and starred in the BBC sitcom “Pensioner’s Pops,” which aired in 2011, and wrote the screenplay for the 2000 television movie “Happiness.”
Eclair has also appeared on several reality shows, including “Celebrity MasterChef” in 2013, and “I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!” in 2010, where she finished in third place.
Here are some of her notable television roles are included:
- In the early 1990s, Eclair appeared on the sketch comedy show “French and Saunders” and also had a regular role on the comedy series “Absolutely Fabulous,” playing the character of ‘Magda.’
- In 1996, she starred in her own sitcom, “Rhona,” which was based on her own life and experiences as a middle-aged divorcee.
- In 1999, Eclair starred in the drama series “Doctors and Nurses” as the character ‘Nurse Beverley Slater.’
- In 2005, she appeared as a contestant on the reality show “Celebrity MasterChef.”
- In 2009, she took part in the ninth series of “I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!” and finished in third place.
- In 2012, she starred in the BBC Four comedy series “Grumpy Old Women” alongside other female comedians such as Jo Brand and Sandi Toksvig.
- In 2013, she appeared on the BBC One show “Pointless Celebrities” and also took part in the ITV reality show “Splash!”
- In 2016, she appeared in the BBC Two comedy series “Boy Meets Girl” as the character ‘Pam.’
- In recent years, Eclair has made guest appearances on a variety of television shows, including “This Morning,” “Celebrity Antiques Road Trip,” and “The One Show.”
Notable Guest appearances
Jenny Eclair has made numerous guest appearances on television shows throughout her career. Some of her most notable guest appearances include:
- “Absolutely Fabulous” (1995): Eclair appeared in the episode “Hospital” as a nurse.
- “Loose Women” (2003-2021): Eclair has been a regular guest on this daytime talk show, offering her opinions on a range of topics.
- “Never Mind the Buzzcocks” (2004-2009): Eclair was a guest on this music-based quiz show multiple times.
- “The Weakest Link” (2007): Eclair was a contestant on this game show and was the second person to be voted off.
- “Mastermind” (2010): Eclair appeared as a celebrity contestant on this quiz show and answered questions on the subject of Agatha Christie’s Poirot.
- “Celebrity MasterChef” (2013): Eclair competed in the eighth series of this cooking competition and made it to the semi-finals.
- “I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!” (2016): Eclair was a contestant on the sixteenth series of this reality show and was the first person to be eliminated.
- “This Morning” (2019-2021): Eclair has been a regular guest on this daytime talk show, offering her opinions on current events and lifestyle topics.
Learn more about, Bruno Tonioli and Vanessa Morgan
Jenny Eclair has also had success in radio. In 2003, she hosted a comedy show on BBC Radio 2 called “Jenny Eclair’s Talking To Strangers,” which was well-received by critics and audiences alike. The show featured Eclair interviewing a different guest each week, ranging from fellow comedians to actors and musicians.
In 2004, Eclair co-hosted a new show on BBC Radio 4 called “The News Quiz,” which is a topical panel show that satirizes the week’s news stories. Eclair’s sharp wit and humor proved to be a hit with listeners, and she continued to appear on the show for several years.
Eclair has also appeared as a guest on other radio shows, including “Just a Minute” and “The Now Show.” In 2020, she began co-hosting a new show on Magic Radio called “Jenny Eclair’s Old Baggage,” which features Eclair and her friend Judith Holder discussing various topics, including aging, relationships, and nostalgia.
Jenny Eclair has received several accolades throughout her career, including:
- Winner of the Perrier Award at the 1995 Edinburgh Fringe Festival for her one-woman show “Jenny Eclair: The Andy Warhol Syndrome”
- Winner of the Specsavers National Book Awards for Popular Non-fiction in 2010 for her book “Life, Death and Vanilla Slices”
- Named one of the 100 Greatest Stand-Ups in a poll conducted by Channel 4 in 2007
- Winner of the Best Newcomer Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 1985
- Nominated for a BAFTA for her performance in the BBC drama “Absolutely Fabulous”
- Winner of the Silver Sony Award for Best Comedy in 1995 for her BBC Radio 4 series “Three Hours of Power”
- Recipient of an Honorary Doctorate from the University of East Anglia in 2015.
Jenny Eclair Family
Jenny Eclair has been quite private about her family life, so there is limited information available about her immediate family. However, she has mentioned in interviews that she has two sisters.
Eclair has also talked about her experiences growing up in a military family, as her father was in the British Army. She has described how the constant moving and upheaval of military life affected her childhood and influenced her sense of humor.
Jenny Eclair Relationship
She was previously married to Geoff Powell, with whom she has a daughter named Phoebe. However, the couple later divorced, and Eclair stated in interviews that she has not remarried and is content with being single.
In a 2018 interview with The Guardian, Eclair stated that her relationship with her daughter is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with her and her grandchildren. Eclair has also spoken openly about her experiences with menopause and aging, using her humor and wit to address these topics in her comedy and writing.
- She is the first woman to win the prestigious Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, which she won in 1995.
- Eclair has written several books, including her autobiography “Moving” and the novel “Having a Lovely Time.”
- In addition to her work in comedy, Eclair has acted in several television shows and films, including “Absolutely Fabulous” and “The Avengers.”
- Eclair has also appeared as a contestant on several reality shows, including “Celebrity MasterChef” and “I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!”
- She was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters from the University of Winchester in 2016.
- Eclair is a passionate advocate for women’s rights and has spoken out about issues such as the gender pay gap and menopause.
- She is a regular guest on British television shows such as “Loose Women” and “This Morning.”
- Eclair has been open about her struggles with depression and has spoken out about the importance of mental health awareness.
- She is a fan of cricket and has written several articles about the sport.
- Eclair is a supporter of the Labour Party and has been involved in political activism throughout her career.
Jenny Eclair’s Net Worth
As of now in 2023, the net worth of Jenny Eclair is summed to be about, 8-10 million USD. The major source of her income is valid from brand promotions, acting, and other entertainment works.
|Does Jenny Eclair, Consume Alcohol?||Not Disclosed|
|Does She, Smoke?||Not Disclosed|
|Does She, Drive?||Yes|
|Does Jenny Eclair, Swims?||Yes|
|Does She know cooking?||Yes|
|Is She a Yoga Practitioner?||Yes|
|Is Jenny Eclair a Jogger?||Yes|
|Eating Habit?||Not Disclosed|
Who is Jenny Eclair?
Jenny Eclair is a British comedian, actress, and writer. She was born on March 16, 1960, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, but grew up in the UK.
Eclair began her career as a stand-up comedian in the early 1980s, becoming one of the pioneers of the alternative comedy movement. She gained prominence in the 1990s and won the prestigious Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 1995.
Is Jenny Eclair married?
She is presently unmarried.
What is the age of Jenny Eclair?
The age of Jenny Eclair is 63 years ( as of 2023).
When is the Birthday of Jenny Eclair’s?
Jenny Eclair’s birthday is on March 16, 1960.
What is the Zodiac Sign of Jenny Eclair?
The Zodiac Sign of Jenny Eclair is Pisces.
How tall is Jenny Eclair?
Jenny Eclair is 5 feet 2 Inches tall.
Where is Jenny Eclair from?
Jenny Eclair is from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
How much is the net worth of Jenny Eclair?
As of now in 2023, the net worth of Jenny is summed to be about,